Services:Tax / Accounting
Exemption on house property
T. Banusekar
I own a house property and I propose to sell the same. How long should I have held the property for claiming exemption from the capital gains on sale of the property? – Jerod
The property should be held for a period exceeding three years for it to be treated as long-term capital gains. If so held and if the gain is treated as long term, you can claim exemption by reinvesting either under Section 54 or Section 54EC. Under Section 54 an exemption is available on transfer of one residential house and on reinvestment in another residential house.
This exemption is available subject to satisfying the following conditions: the assessee is an individual or HUF; the gain arises from the transfer of a residential house being a long term capital asset; the income from such asset is chargeable to tax under the head income from house property.
The exemption would be available to the following extent: if the amount invested is more than or equal to the capital gain, the whole of the capital gain; if the amount invested is less than the capital gain, then to the extent invested.
The exemption under Section 54EC is available subject to satisfying the following conditions: the asset transferred is a long-term capital asset; the investment is in bonds of the National Highway Authority of India or Rural Electrification Corporation, which are redeemable after a period of three years.
If the exemption should be claimed under Section 54EC, the investment should be made before the expiry of six months from the date of transfer of the capital asset.
The exemption would be available to the following extent: if the amount invested is more than or equal to the capital gain, the whole of the capital gain; if the amount invested is less than the capital gain, then to the extent invested.
You may also note that the investment for the purpose of claiming exemption under Section 54EC cannot exceed Rs 50 lakh.
I own a house property at Chennai which has been leased out to a company for two years. Is there any change in Section 194-I with regard to the quantum of rent on which tax is not deductible at source? I understand that previously the limit was Rs 1 lakh per annum. – T. Selvadorai
Under Section 194-I, the limit for deducting tax at source is and has always been Rs 1,20,000 per annum and not Rs 1,00,000 as stated by you. This limit has not undergone any change.
My mother had settled a house property in May 2008 in favour of me and my sister, which was purchased by her in the year 1988. We now propose to sell the same. Will the sale of the house property attract short-term capital gains in the hands of my sister and myself? – Ganapathy
The gain will be treated as long-term capital gains and not as short-term capital gains. You may note that the period of holding of the previous owner is also to be taken for determining whether the asset is long term or short term in certain circumstances, which would also include a gift.
In your case, since the property was acquired by your mother in 1988, the period of holding would be computed from then when you and your sister sell the same now. This would be so even though the property was gifted to you and your sister, by your mother in May 2008.
I gifted RBI tax-free bonds to my spouse and the interest from such bonds is tax-free. Will the clubbing provisions alter the taxability of the same in the hands of the donor/donee? – V. Ganapathy
The interest on the RBI tax-free bonds gifted by you to your wife will not be taxable and will continue to be exempt.
Even though the clubbing provisions may apply when there is a gift from one spouse to another, given that the income is exempt, the same will continue to be exempt even after the clubbing provisions are applied. Insofar as the donee, that is,. your wife is concerned, there will be no tax implications on the gift received by her as it is received only from a person referred to as in the exclusionary provisions of section 56(2)(vii).
In your column dated July 19, 2009, you have stated that the period of holding for calculation of capital gains begins from the date of registration.
How is the same to be calculated in the following situation?
Sale deed for the value of undivided share in land was registered on May 31, 2006. Memorandum of understanding with the builder for construction was entered on December 11, 2006, and payments were made to the builder in installments based on progress of construction.
Possession of the flat was given on July 9, 2008. Property tax was paid in my name from the second half of 2008. – T.V. Ranganathan
From your query it appears that you have entered into a sale deed with the builder for acquiring the undivided share in land which was registered on May 31, 2006, and further that you have entered into a construction agreement with the builder for construction of the flat on December 11, 2006, which flat was taken possession of only on July 9, 2008.
In such circumstances since you are the owner of the undivided share of land even from May 31, 2006, that would be taken as the date of acquisition and the period of holding of the undivided share in land would be computed from that date.
Insofar as the flat is concerned the ownership and possession of the flat vests in you only on July 9, 2008, and therefore that would be taken as the date of acquisition and the period of holding in respect of the flat would be computed from that date. Prior to July 9, 2008, you may note that you are not the owner of the flat and at best it can only be said that you had a right to get the flat constructed.



No comments:

Post a Comment


Title:Contact Tel/email:Content:City:Area:Looking for / Available :Category:URL if any :Date posted:You can copy/paste too.

...Indian Universities Web Directory...
International Property

AddThis Feed Button

New business?
However small
it may be,
success requires
proper planning,
preparation and

RIGHTS In business, there are no
guarantees. There’s simply
no way to eliminate risks
associated with starting an
enterprise. But you can improve
chances of success with good
planning, preparation and insight.
Find out what to consider when
starting a business.
Drawing up a business plan
It’s important to draft a
comprehensive and thoughtful
business plan. Much hinges on
it: Outside funding, credit from
suppliers, management of your
operation and finances, promotion
and marketing of your business,
and achievement of your goals
and objectives.
Creating a business plan will
force you to think about key issues
before you start your enterprise,
such as raising money and your
projected start-up costs and
marketing strategies. This will help
you figure out if your idea is
a winner.

The core of naming a business lies
in understanding the trademark
law. Trademarks help consumers
identify the makers of the goods
or services. Often, the name of
your company may also be used
as a trademark to identify your
company’s offerings. What’s in a
name, you may wonder. But if you
choose something too similar to a
competitor’s name, you might be
accused of violating the their legal
rights, and you could be forced to
change it and even pay monetary
damages. A good business name
should be:
■ Distinctive
■ Memorable
■ Easily spelled and
■ Suggest the products or
services you offer
■ Distinguish you from your
Many people opt for partnerships
with their friends or relatives for
doing business, because they
feel very comfortable dealing with
people they have known for a long
time. But before you do, create
a Partnership Agreement which
should include the following:
■ Amount of equity invested by
each partner
■ Type of business
■ How profit and loss will be
■ Each partner’s pay and
■ Distribution of assets on
■ Provisions for changes or
dissolving the partnership
■ Dispute settlement clause
■ Settlement in case of death or
■ Restrictions of authority
and expenditures
Financing A new business
Money can be raised either by
borrowing it from a friend, family
member, bank or selling ownership
interests (equity) in your business.
There’s no hard and fast rule on
the best way to raise money; you’ll
have to evaluate your situation
and decide what kind of loan or
investment you’re willing to take.
If you are going beyond family
and friends for loans or equity
investments, you’ll definitely need
a business plan.
If you take a loan, you will
have to repay the money over
time (usually monthly), with
interest. The lender won’t receive
an ownership interest in your
business, and you won’t have to
share any of your future profits
with the lender. On the other hand,
if you raise money by selling equity
(ownership interests), you will
not have to make these monthly
payments or repay the investment
at any particular date. L e g a l
All about you
The business of
doing business
your business is profitable, you’ll
need to share the profits with your
investors, generally in proportion
to the percentage of the business
they own.
Licences and permits
Business licences and permits
can range from the general (a
basic trade licence to operate
a business within a city), to the
specific (a permit to sell alcohol/
firearms/food items). Bear in mind
that regulations vary by industry.
Investigate into the licensing
and permit requirements that
affect your industry, and avoid
any temptation to ignore these
important regulatory details.
Being out of licensing and permit
compliance could leave you
unprotected legally, which may
lead to expensive penalties, and
can jeopardise your business.
Location of workplace
There is no universal rule for
choosing a business location.
The biggest consideration is
sometimes not where it is but
what it is. The building facilities
need to be appropriate for your
business whether you are working
from home, a business centre or
a rented space. Or you could take
up space in a market with similar
businesses or consumer groups.
Entering into agreements
Be mindful of employment
contracts as these take different
forms. All employees at a
company may be asked to sign
the same form of contract, or
each employee may have a
contract with the employer that
is exclusively applicable to his
or her employment agreement.
It mentions the kind of work the
employee will do, for how long,
and at what rate of pay. Please
consult an attorney who can
advise you about Confidentiality
and Non-Competition Agreements,
and clauses pertaining to
ownership of inventions, exclusive
employment, termination,
minimum wages, bonus,
arbitration and jurisdiction.
In almost all business dealings,
every time you or your company
agrees to take some action or
make a payment in exchange
for anything of value, a legal
contract is created. Make sure
that you and the other party
agree on the meaning of any
potentially ambiguous words or
phrases. Even a misplaced (or
unnoticed) punctuation mark can
dramatically change the scope of
your rights and obligations under a
contract. Watch out for commonly
misused words. When you agree to
bimonthly payments, for instance,
do you understand that you will be
paid every other month? Or do you
expect to be paid twice a month?
Some business agreements may
be simple enough for the regular
person to draft, while others may
require the help of a lawyer.
If your advertisement is deceptive,
you’ll face legal problems even
if you had the best intentions
while framing it. In addition, if
your advertisement contains a
false statement, you have already
violated the law. The fact that you
didn’t know ‘the information was
false’ is irrelevant. Advertisements
should conform to laws and
should not go against morality,
decency and the religious
susceptibilities of people.
Business Advisors
Finally, the key to success for any
entrepreneur is to have the best
set of advisors, not necessarily
the most expensive but the
ones you can trust totally. These
may includes lawyers, chartered
accountants, insurance advisors,
and bankers among others.

Decide on the meaing of potentially
ambiguous phrases. Even a misplaced
punctuat ion mark can change the
scope of your rights and obligations..